SEI Fellow and Principal Research Scientist
For the last 31 years, Peter Feiler has been a member of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), where his duties include 5 years of management. His interests include safety-critical real-time systems, architecture languages, software-reliant systems, and software system assurance.
Feiler is the technical lead and author of the SAE AS-2C Architecture Analysis & Design Language (AADL) standard. This standard was published in November 2004 as SAE Document AS5506. Version 2.1 of the standard was published in January 2012. Feiler is also the author of the Error Model Annex V2 Annex standard for AADL, published in 2015. Feiler received the Carnegie Science Award for Information Technology in 2009 for his work with AADL.
Before joining the SEI, Feiler conducted research and led a group in software technology at the Siemens Corporate Research and Technology Lab in Princeton, NJ. During that period, he was the system architect for the software development environment in large-scale product development.
Feiler earned a PhD in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University and was appointed an SEI fellow in August 2016.
Recent and significant publications include the following:
- Feiler, P.; Goodenough, J.; Gurfinkel, A.; Weinstock, C.; & Wrage, L. Four Pillars for Improving the Quality of Safety-Critical Software-Reliant Systems. Software Engineering Institute, 2013.
- Feiler, P. & Gluch, D. Model-Based Engineering with AADL: An Introduction to the SAE Architecture Analysis & Design Language. SEI Series. Addison Wesley, 2012.
- Feiler, P. Architecture Analysis & Design Language (AADL). SAE Document AS5506A. SAE International, 2012.
- Northrop, L.; Balzer, R.; Sullivan, K.; Gabriel, R.; Smith, D.; Klein, M.; Feiler, P.; et al. Ultra-Large-Scale Systems: Software Challenge of the Future. Study and report commissioned by Claude M. Bolton, Jr., Assistant Secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, and Technology). Software Engineering Institute, 2006.
- Feiler, P.H. & Hansson, J. Impact of Runtime Architectures on Control System Stability. Fourth International Congress on Embedded Real-Time Systems. January 2008.
- Feiler, P.H. & Walker, J. Adaptive Feedback Scheduling of Incremental and Design-to-Time Tasks, pp. 318-326. In Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2001). IEEE Computer Society Press, May 2001.
- Feiler, P.H. & Humphrey, Watts. Software Process Development and Enactment: Concepts and Definitions. Communications of the ACM, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 75-90, September, 1992.