SEI-Certified Instructor for Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma
Certification • Software Process
What Services Do DPPSS Instructors Offer?
An instructor of the Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma (DPPSS) course takes a hands-on, problem-solving approach to data analysis, providing participants with a toolkit of analysis methods and leveraging industry best practices such as Six Sigma and Goal-Driven Software Measurement.
Benefits of the DPPSS Instructor Certification
As an SEI-Certified DPPSS Instructor, you’ll reap the rewards of professional recognition through certification, and you’ll add value to your organization. DPPSS Instructors contribute standard practices to organizations by teaching others to
- implement a variety of measurement techniques to dramatically improve requirements engineering and solution selection
- use advanced measurement techniques to model uncertainty and predict cost and schedule performance
- select and implement uncertainty models and advanced statistics to anticipate, predict, understand, and test process and product quality
- understand basic process modeling and simulation concepts
- use modern design of experiments and optimization techniques for robust product design
Upon completing the certification process, participants will be entitled to refer to themselves as an SEI-Certified Instructor for DPPSS and will be listed as SEI-Certified Individuals as long as they are sponsored by an SEI Partner that has chosen to appear in the SEI Partner Directory.
Who Should Get This Credential?
This credential is designed for individuals who want to help organizations use measurement to make informed decisions, manage projects, and leverage industry best practices. Individuals who pursue this credential should have
- extensive instructional experience implementing or developing measurement programs
- experience in both process improvement and product development
- basic statistical and problem-solving skills, including proficiency with Excel spreadsheets, SAS JMP, Crystal Ball, ProcessModel, and SMERFS^3
Term and Renewal
There is no term limit for DPPSS Instructor certification once you are certified to teach this course. The only maintenance requirement is that you continue to be sponsored by an SEI Partner.
Summary of Fees
There are fees for courses and instructor training; SEI Partner organizations pay annual support fees for certifications. Training fees are set by the SEI. For more information about fees, contact the SEI at email@example.com.
How to Apply
1. Meet qualification criteria
Before applying to become an SEI-Certified DPPSS Instructor, you must meet the following qualification criteria:
- a BS or BA degree from an accredited college or university; an MS degree is desirable
- successful completion of an SEI-authorized Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- successful completion of an SEI-authorized Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma course
- successful completion of at least one college-level course in probability or statistics, or hold a Six Sigma Green or Black Belt certification
Technical and Measurement Experience
- at least 10 years of overall work experience
- at least 7 years of experience in measurement activity supporting business improvement, which can include consulting with, teaching, or training organizations about implementing their measurement programs
- leadership of at least one DMAIC project that saved an organization at least $50k
Training and Teaching Experience
- at least 500 hours of instructional experience in delivering technical/measurement topics within the last 10 years
- presenter of at least one technical paper at a software engineering conference
- ability to speak fluent and clear English
2. Submit your application
Complete the application to become an SEI-Certified Instructor for DPPSS. Your application package must include the following:
- a completed DPPSS Instructor application
- a signed Code of Professional Conduct for SEI Services form
- sponsorship by an SEI Partner for Software Engineering Measurement and Analysis
You will receive a confirmation email when submission is complete. A review board will evaluate your application for acceptance into the program. Should there be questions about your application, the review board will contact you for clarification.
1. Complete exercises
Demonstrate your understanding of the methodology and concepts used in the DPPSS course by completing a set of exercises. Send your completed worksheets to firstname.lastname@example.org.
SEI personnel will evaluate your documents. If you submit below-average work, the SEI will inform you of remediation steps. If your exercises are approved, you will be invited to attend the instructor training course.
2. Complete the instructor training course
In the DPPSS Instructor Training course, you must demonstrate competency in all performance objectives associated with the DPPSS course. Be prepared to deliver any of the modules from the DPPSS course and analyze and provide feedback to solutions of the course exercises. The leaders of the instructor training course will evaluate your performance using a checklist of expected competencies.
If your performance in the instructor training course is deficient, the SEI will either (1) recommend appropriate remedial activities that must be completed to continue with the qualification process or (2) disqualify the candidate with no opportunity for remediation.
3. Conduct a course delivery for assessment
Complete a performance assessment within 12 months of successfully completing instructor training for the DPPSS course. SEI staff members will observe your live delivery of a course. You must demonstrate competency in all performance objectives associated with the course delivery. The SEI uses a checklist of competencies to assess your performance.
The observer provides the candidate with feedback after the observation. For observations that are unsatisfactory, the SEI provides the candidate with steps for remediation. Any additional SEI support for remedial work is billed at the SEI Partner’s expense.
The SEI observes up to two candidates per offering, provided that the SEI is informed before the offering. The candidate’s sponsoring SEI Partner determines the location of the course offering and reimburses the SEI for daily effort and travel expenses when the SEI performs the observation.
4. Receive your certification
After you successfully complete all prior steps, certification is granted by the SEI. You will be notified of the results of your performance assessment within 3–4 weeks. SEI-Certified DPPSS Instructors receive a certification diploma.
Contact us with questions about this certification at email@example.com.
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.