Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma Instructor Training
This two-day course is for those interested in becoming SEI-Certified Instructors of the Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma (DPPSS) course. The DPPSS course introduces a method and toolbox originating from the Design-for-Six-Sigma paradigm called Define-Measure-Analyze-Design-Verify (DMADV). The method can be used for designing products and processes based on performance. This instructor training course is composed of lectures and participant presentations of DPPSS course material. Candidate instructors must demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the DPPSS material and have effective instructional and facilitation skills. Other required qualifications are specified at SEI-Certified Instructor for Designing Products and Processes Using Six Sigma.
This training provides an opportunity for experienced trainers and measurement professionals to become SEI-Certified Instructors of the DPPSS course. To be eligible, participants must have the following skills:
- extensive instructional experience in implementing or developing measurement programs
- experience in both process improvement and product development
- basic statistical and problem solving skills, including proficiency Excel spreadsheets, SAS JMP, Crystal Ball, ProcessModel, and SMERFS^3
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to
- present any DPPSS course module to a class of students, demonstrating content expertise by adhering to the documented instructional guidance
- evaluate course exercise results and give feedback that aligns with and reinforces specific, relevant concepts integral to the course approach.
- provide feedback that highlights both correct and incorrect application of the DMADV method and specific tool within the context of the student exercises
- respond to methodology questions from students
- content overview of each module in the DPPSS course
- module by module review of concepts and issues to be emphasized while teaching
- introduction to DPPSS course exercises
- tools for the course exercises, including team coaching, evaluation, and feedback
- familiarity with the following tools: Excel spreadsheets, SAS JMP, Crystal Ball, ProcessModel, and SMERFS^3
Participants will receive a DPPSS instructor workbook, including instructor notes, several weeks in advance of the course to prepare for in-class module delivery and exercise facilitation. Each candidate instructor must acquire their own latest version of the tools (Excel spreadsheets, SAS JMP, Crystal Ball, ProcessModel, and SMERFS^3) and bring the software installed on their laptop for use in this class.
- have successfully completed an SEI-authorized course offering of Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma (IPPSS)
- have successfully completed an SEI-authorized course offering of DPPSS
- be sponsored by an SEI Partner organization
- complete the application process to become a certified DPPSS course instructor
- sign a Code of Professional Conduct for SEI Services document
Students must bring a personal computer equipped with:
- Installation of the latest version of SAS JMP statistical package, Oracle Crystal Ball Professional Add-on to Microsoft Excel, and ProcessModel (purchased or free evaluation licenses; please launch each tool after installation to ensure it is fully installed and operational; check each vendor website for computer requirements)
- Installation of the latest version of a free software reliability tool called SMERFS^3 (http://www.slingcode.com/smerfs/)
- Installation of the latest free evaluation 21-day license of QFD Designer (http://www.ideacore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111&Itemid=90 ; Select download demo under "Named User"
- CD-ROM drive or USB port to receive student data files during the class
3 - Day Course
Do you receive reports on your project, but are uncertain how to use them? Do you feel you don't receive the information you need to manage your project? This three-day course teaches managers and practitioners how to use measurement as the foundation for making informed decisions about projects. Participants learn to use measurement to analyze...
5 - Day Course
This five-day course takes a hands-on, measurement-oriented approach to product development, providing participants with a toolkit of analysis methods and leveraging industry best practices, such as the Design-for-Six-Sigma methodology of DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify). This course builds upon basic statistical concepts from the...
3 - Day Course
Does your organization collect data that is never used? Does it still make decisions based on opinion and assertion? This three-day course teaches managers and practitioners how to identify and define indicators (i.e., graphical displays) and measures that directly support decision making and an organization's business, process improvement, and...
5 - Day Course
Does your organization experience the same product and business problems repeatedly? Are you tired of process improvement projects that never produce results? Are your competitors consistently beating you to market? Do you have data but don't know what to do with it? Many process improvement projects aim for modest improvements of 1-5%. Through...
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials. For more information about SEI training courses, see Registration Terms and Conditions and Confidentiality of Course Records.