This one-day facilitated workshop provides hands-on coaching in the implementation of the tools and techniques from the "Control" phase of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) Six Sigma business improvement methodology, as taught in the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course. This just-in-time workshop helps to accelerate the "Control" phase activity of major business improvement projects for either software process improvement or specific software product improvement. This workshop specifically helps improvement teams identify and plan methods to track and control performance of improved processes, culminating in a transition plan of control from the improvement team to the responsible organization entity.
Who should attend?
- project managers and process managers
- software engineering process group members
- process improvement working group members
- software measurement team members
- professionals who need reliable quantitative information to guide acquiring, supporting, planning, or tracking software systems
- Six Sigma black belts, green belts, or belt candidates
- performance control plan
- statistical process control and capability
- time series analysis for situations with time-dependent cycles
Successful completion of this course will enable participants to realize the major outputs of this workshop, including
- control plan for performance
- transition plan for tracking and controlling the performance
- defined and instantiated SPC charts on key performance measures
- time series analysis templates to monitor performance when cycles exist
- decision tree to guide control decisions
- visual display methods of data for various levels of management
Before registering for this workshop, participants must
- have at least one team member (change agent) who has attended the SEI Improving Process Performance Using Six Sigma course
- identify an improvement leader to complete advance preparation work with the SEI facilitator
- have completed the "Define," "Measure," "Analyze," and "Improve" phases of DMAIC, including team charter, success criteria, key measures of performance and acceptable measurement error analysis, root cause analysis of poor performance, quantified relationships between causal "x" factors and performance outcome variables, identified and piloted/implemented a solution alternative, and initiated the deployment of the solution within the organization
Participants receive a course note and job aids.
This one day course meets at the following times:
8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Training courses provided by the SEI are not academic courses for academic credit toward a degree. Any certificates provided are evidence of the completion of the courses and are not official academic credentials.