SEI Fellow and Principal Research Scientist
For the last 31 years, Peter Feiler has been a member of the Software Engineering Institute (SEI), where his duties include five years of management. His interests include safety-critical real-time systems, architecture languages, software-reliant systems, and software system assurance.
Feiler is the technical lead and author of the SAE AS-2C Architecture Analysis & Design Language (AADL) standard. This standard was published in November 2004 as SAE document AS5506. Version 2.1 of the standard was published in January 2012. Feiler also was the author of the Error Model Annex V2 Annex standard for AADL, published in 2015.
Before joining the SEI, Feiler conducted research and led a group in software technology at the Siemens Corporate Research and Technology Lab in Princeton, NJ. During that period, he was the system architect for the software development environment in large-scale product development.
Feiler received the Carnegie Science Award for Information Technology in 2009 for his work with AADL.
Feiler earned a PhD in computer science from Carnegie Mellon University and was appointed SEI fellow in August 2016.
Publications (recent or significant)
- Feiler P., Goodenough J., Gurfinkel A., Weinstock C., Wrage L., Four Pillars for Improving the Quality of Safety-Critical Software-Reliant Systems, Software Engineering Institute, Research & Technology White Paper, 2013.
- Feiler, P., Gluch D.. Model-Based Engineering with AADL: An Introduction to the SAE Architecture Analysis & Design Language. (2012) SEI Series, Addison Wesley.
- SAE International, "Architecture Analysis & Design Language (AADL)," Feiler, Peter, Author & Editor, SAE Document AS5506A, Jan 2012.
- L. Northrop, R. Balzer, K. Sullivan, R. Gabriel, D. Smith, M. Klein, P. Feiler, et.al. Ultra Large Scale Systems: Software Challenge of the Future, study and report commissioned by Claude M. Bolton, Jr., assistant secretary of the Army (Acquisition, Logistics, and Technology), Software Engineering Institute, June 2006, http://www.sei.cmu.edu/uls/.
- Peter H. Feiler, Jorgen Hansson, Impact of Runtime Architectures on Control System Stability, Proceedings of 4th International Congress on Embedded Real-Time Systems, Jan 2008.
- Peter H. Feiler, John Walker, "Adaptive Feedback Scheduling of Incremental and Design-To-Time Tasks", Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2001). IEEE Computer Society Press, May 2001.
- Peter H. Feiler and Watts Humphrey, "Software Process Development and Enactment: Concepts and Definitions," Communication of the ACM, Vol. 35, No. 9, pp. 75-90, September, 1992.